In addition to the 20 players who were released or waived by the club, rookie defensive end Kenny Anunike was placed on injured reserve and kicker Matt Prater was designated as reserve/suspended (and will not count against the team’s active roster during the first four weeks of the season).
The Broncos may establish a practice squad of up to 10 players beginning Sunday at 10 a.m. MDT.
The following transactions were announced by the Broncos on Saturday:
RELEASED (VESTED VETERANS)
|Jameson Konz||TE||Kent State||3|
|Jerome Murphy||CB||South Florida||5|
|Kevin Vickerson||DT||Michigan State||9|
|Shaqil Barrett||LB||Colorado State||R|
|Kapri Bibbs||RB||Colorado State||R|
|Zac Dysert||QB||Miami (Ohio)||2|
|L.J. Fort||LB||Northern Iowa||2|
|Bennie Fowler||WR||Michigan State||R|
|Duke Ihenacho||S||San Jose State||3|
|Vinston Painter||G||Virginia Tech||2|
|Nathan Palmer||WR||Northern Illinois||2|
|Matt Paradis||C||Boise State||R|
|Gerell Robinson||TE||Arizona State||1|
|Louis Young||CB||Georgia Tech||R|
|Matt Prater||K||Central Florida||8|
* - The position breakdown of the 53-man roster is as follows: Quarterbacks (2), Running Backs (4), Wide Receivers (6), Tight Ends (3), Offensive Linemen (9), Defensive Linemen (8), Linebackers (8), Defensive Backs (10), Specialists (3).
* - Roster averages: Age (25.8), Experience (4.1), Height (6’2), Weight (245).
* - In addition to the active roster, the Broncos currently have six players on injured reserve and one player designated as Reserve/Suspended (K Matt Prater). Prater is eligible to return to the active roster after Week 4.
* - The active roster features 14 players who were not with the club in 2013. Included in that total are six veteran free agents, five draft selections, two college free agents and one trade acquisition.
* - Nearly half of the players (26-of-53) on the Broncos’ active roster have three or fewer seasons of experience entering 2014—the same number that comprised Denver’s opening 53-man roster in 2013.
* - Rookie WR Isaiah Burse and RB Juwan Thompson made the 53-man squad to mark the 11th consecutive year a college free agent has appeared on the team’s Week 1 active roster (tied for the third-longest active streak in the NFL entering this season). This marks the third season (2008, ‘12) since at least 1997 the Broncos have had multiple college free agents make the active roster out of training camp.